Revisit driver education courses, including parent-taught program design; document the benefits of certified instructor training; and enhance ticket dismissal courses, particularly with regard to speed choice and speeding.
- Estimate the level of effort and cost of the study (review earlier studies).
- Identify sources of potential funding.
- After securing funding, prepare a request for proposals and select the provider.
- Conduct the study.
- Review the 2007 study for gaps in the new study and share the findings.
TxDOT, FHWA, research agencies, driver education providers, and DPS
- Current legislation not in line with increasing certified instructor training.
- Countermeasure wording, which needs to be revised to more action-oriented verbiage. The wording needs to be expanded to include the actual effectiveness of educational techniques.
- Pushback from parents and homeschool organizations.