Encourage use of the ICE process in project development by TxDOT and local agencies. Develop case studies, provide training, and conduct outreach.
- Identify stakeholders (TxDOT, local agencies, DPS, and DMV).
- Draft policies and guidelines based on best practices. Integrate them into the project development process. Consider maintenance requirements.
- Revise based on stakeholder input.
- Develop training materials or adapt FHWA materials.
TxDOT’s Design Division and Traffic Operations Division, districts, city and county agencies, TexITE, FHWA, Texas Trucking Association, and TEEX.
- Institutional inertia.
- Identifying and securing a champion.
- Changing long-standing practices. Considering early enough in the project development phase.
- Public acceptance of non-standard designs and controls.