Implement proven, low-cost engineering countermeasures in a systemic manner: modify operations, add or enhance signs, and add or enhance physical conditions. (Install driver speed feedback signs in advance of intersections. Implement the current Texas Intersection Safety Implementation Plan to prepare for the next iteration of the Highway Safety Improvement Program.)
- Create a systemic program to develop a procedure that identifies countermeasures, selects locations, and supports contracting and program management.
- Conduct outreach to encourage participation in the implementation of a pilot program.
- Set up and implement a pilot program.
- Evaluate the pilot program and develop a longer-range systemic program.
- Continue the outreach effort. Encourage more jurisdictions to participate.
TxDOT, city and county transportation agencies and public works departments, FHWA, and TexITE
- Identifying and securing a champion.
- Developing buy-in among jurisdictions.
- Obtaining funding to develop the process.
- Finding a jurisdiction willing to pilot.
- Obtaining sufficient and sustained funding for more comprehensive implementation.