Use targeted enforcement at high-volume incident locations. Install red light indicator lights (in most cases, white lights) to inform law enforcement of red signal onset.
- Identify signalized intersections with a high number of red-light-running crashes.
- Prioritize intersections and install red light indicator lights.
- Enforce red-light-running at targeted intersections. Use local funds or apply for Selective Traffic Enforcement Program (STEP) grants.
- Evaluate effectiveness.
City and county transportation agencies, law enforcement officers, TxDOT, and DPS.
- STEP funding and funding at the city level.
- Funding for red light indicator lights.
- Concern over legal issues due to the removal of red light cameras even though this is just an indicator light, not a camera.
- Finding and securing a champion.