Nighttime Locations Action Plan
Identify locations subject to nighttime crashes. Examples are developing and using screening and systemic crash analysis tools to identify locations, providing additional roadway delineation, and providing roadway lighting.
Steps For Implementation
- Develop a program analogous to the TxDOT Wet Surface Condition Reduction Program (formerly the Wet Weather Accident Reduction Program) specific to nighttime crashes.
- Encourage the use of network screening techniques, such as those outlined in the Highway Safety Manual (HSM), to identify locations with high rates of nighttime crashes. This includes two components:
- Identify and publicize existing training materials regarding HSM usage.
- Develop new training materials as needed to specifically address nighttime crashes.
- Automate the network screening process via a Microsoft Excel macro or other software tool.
- Apply a systemic process to diminish relying on the public to identify traffic safety issues.
TxDOT; research agency or university; city or county project managers; advisors; and safety contractors
willallow TxDOT employees to function more efficiently.)
Cost to Implement
withina Microsoft Excel framework may be cost effective; an external software tool may be more costly.)
Time to Implement
Medium (need to tailor existing software to do what is needed)
- Dedicated champions.
- Buy-in from participating agencies.
- Developing a simple yet reliable automated system.
- Obtaining sufficient funding for development.
- Obtaining sufficient funding for countermeasure implementation.