Trip Planning Action Plan
Promote trip planning, including designated drivers, public transportation, taxis, and alternate transportation service companies.
Steps For Implementation
- Consult with transit agencies, community coalitions, school groups, and alternate transportation service companies on methods of increasing availability of sober rides.
- Invite these groups to join the Impaired Driving Task Force. Identify and list current gaps/needs related to mobility options for impaired road users.
- Focus attention on the top 10 counties for DWI crashes. List the existing sober ride options in those counties.
- Determine target markets (e.g., young persons versus chronic drinkers).
- Promote trip planning for college students in rural areas through material distribution.
- Promote trip planning for other targeted groups.
- Continue to promote and explore the possibility of a statewide smartphone app.
- Disseminate marketing materials through social media.
TxDOT, ad agencies, transit associations, transportation network companies, taxi companies, injury prevention professionals, MADD, local and regional safety coalitions, prosecutors, MPOs, law enforcement agencies, DUI task forces, city and county agencies, restaurant associations, TABC, chambers of commerce, TMCEC, religious organizations, and colleges and universities
Cost to Implement
$$$$$(high expense for phone app development)
Time to Implement
- Obtaining sufficient and sustained funding.
- Availability of current data on options.
- Getting cities engaged.
- Developing partnerships.
- Lack of advertising by providers.
- Difficulty finding providers with internet search engines.
- Need to provide information beyond “don’t drink and drive.”
- Widespread dissemination of materials and developing effective information dissemination strategies.
- Identifying a champion.
- Getting participating agencies to follow through with commitments to the effort.
- Identifying targeted groups.
- Willingness of transportation providers to transport impaired patrons.
- Providing affordable and practical sober rides.
- Availability of sober rides in rural areas.
- Determining effective messages.
- Meeting needs during peak hours (late night).